From the 1st to the 9th of August 2018, Rio de Janeiro hosted the 2018 International Congress of Mathematicians. The first ICM to be held in the Southern Hemisphere.
Some of SwissMAP's participants, namely Hugo Duminil-Copin, Rinat Kashaev, Rahul Pandharipande, Benjamin Schlein, Thomas Willwacher and Maryna Viazovska were invited to give talks at the congress. Also, our new participant Alessio Figalli was awarded the Fields Medal during the opening ceremony.
Here are the lectures given by our participants:
- Hugo Duminil-Copin: sectional lecture titled "Sixty years of percolation"
- Alessio Figalli: Fields Medal lecture
- Rinat Kashaev: sectional lecture titled "The Teichmüller TQFT"
- Rahul Pandharipande: plenary lecture titled "Geometry of the moduli space of curves"
- Benjamin Schlein: sectional lecture titled "Bogoliubov excitation spectrum for Bose–Einstein condensates"
- Thomas Willwacher: sectional lecture titled "Little disks operads and Feynman diagrams"
- Maryna Viazovska: sectional lecture titled "Sharp sphere packings"
The congress was a great success with over 3000 mathematicians from 114 countries and a packed program filled with many inspiring talks. You can find more information on the conferene website.
The next ICM 2022 will be hosted by Saint Petersburg after a vote at the general assembly during which SwissMAP’s director Stanislav Smirnov presented the Saint Petersburg bid with Arkady Dvorkovich, former vice prime minister and Russia World Cup Organizing committee Head.
Some photos of our participants during the event can be seen here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/6q5KF3tr8h378XB88